Sunday, June 21, 2009

Come sail away! come sail away!


This weekend has been a giant musical ball of fun here in the magic city.  It's city stages 09 - a three day festival in downtown bham that brings in dozens of talented acts and almost as many funnel cake stands.  

My dear friend lucy bought us weekend passes for my birthday. It was a sweet gift - even a little nostalgic since last years city stages was such a memorable weekend for us. This years though? It blew 08 out of the water.  Friday night we joined the aging baby boomers for .38 special, Styx and REO Speedwagon. I believe my quote in the Birmingham news is "Those guys might be old but they still rock."  Ya'll. They do. They were really good. And Styx is still wearing the same stuff they were wearing when they started making in big.  I know what you're thinking - how could a night like this get any better? I'll tell you how: the Indigo Girls.

For those who don't know, i am a pretty big indigo girls fan.  They're just so talented and in concert they make it seem so effortless. Plus, they just have a way with words and harmonies and fitting all of it together.  So we sang along to Galileo, Closer to Fine and (my personal favorite) Hammer and a Nail.  We danced with grey-haired ladies and androgynous hippies.  It was a blast.  

Plus, we made friends with the corn-dog and funnel cake man. Now that's a good weekend.  

1 comment:

Kelley said...

I seem to remember a similar-ish Indigo experience on the river front in Nash! :)