Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!




just a quick little note to let the world wide web know that this woman:

is the greatest mom ever. she is much to be thanked (or perhaps blamed) for my intense love of food. she is a fantastic cook - whether it's the best shrimp and grits you've ever put in your mouth or a late night snack invented out of the odds and ends found in our kitchen and pantry. her talents do not end there, however. she can also plan an entire wedding from out of state, find you almost exactly what you want for half of what you were willing to spend or make 25 guests feel just as welcome as the 2 she thought were coming over. we did that to her. a lot. that's my mom. and i am so proud of her.

I also have to recognize this woman:

(isn't she so foxy? she would die if she knew i put this on the internet). this is jean brown, my grandmother, with my late grandfather. seriously - how gorgeous are they? going back to the food issue, i guess it all started with her. and i just got a little piece of early inheritance in the form of her cast iron skillet. it's now been used in 3 kitchens (it was her mom's) to add love and perfectly browned bottoms to countless pieces of cornbread and ham. i thank her for my rich southern heritage, my DAR membership and the occasional ability to get whatever i want from strangers. (" so, what are my chances. . . " i use that one a lot). one time grandmama needed a ride home from the atlanta airport because she lives on a farm about 45 minutes away. you know who drove her home? the pilot. only jean brown. my mom will try to make you think she didn't get these genes, but she did. as did i. they just seem to get a little diluted with each generation. anyway - i have so much to be thankful for in my grandmama. she's a go getter, and will do anything to see her kids, grandkids and great grandkids. she's lived through the depression, gone to college when it was not the easiest thing to do and taught JUNIOR HIGH for, like 30 something years. you can now find her scooting around her little south georgia town in her candy apple red caddy. can't nobody hold her down. she cracks me up.

but i'm not done! there is no way i could NOT mention my newest mom:
Dori!! she's my mother-in-law and i could not be luckier. she has made me feel so welcome in their family, and she never lets me go hungry (are you catching the theme here?). she has such a well defined sense of style and she is FUN. and the boys she brought up? let's just say she raised them right. she trained them to open doors, send flowers, shop for hours (which i should appreciate way more than i do - i'm not a shopper) and best of all - wash dishes. sigh. i really couldn't have it any better.

i love you all and truly hope you have had the wonderful mother's day that you deserve!!


1 comment:

carrie dirks said...

You make a great point there really are a lot of great Mom's in your gene pool...guess its time to jump in eh Em?